Braves unite Upton brothers in trade with Diamondbacks

For the first time in their professional careers, the Upton brothers will unite on the same team. On Thursday, it was announced that the Arizona Diamondbacks had agreed to trade Justin Upton to Atlanta, where he and his brother BJ, whom Atlanta just signed in November, will roam the outfield of Turner Field.

Going to Atlanta along with Upton is third baseman Chris Johnson. The Braves were forced to part with a large package of players in order to match the hefty price tag for Upton. Heading to the desert to be future Diamondbacks are pitcher Randall Delgado, utility man Martin Prado, and minor league players Nick Ahmed, Zeke Spruill, and Brandon Drury.

Upton, drafted number one overall in the 2005 draft, had enjoyed a sizeable run of success with the Diamondbacks. In 2011, he finished fourth in NL MVP voting while leading the Diamondbacks to a National League West title.

All the goodwill began to unravel in the winter after his breakout season due to constant trade rumors surrounding the star, and a subpar 2012 campaign that saw him hit .280 with only 17 homeruns. Upton’s name had been attached to different trade rumors since the hot stove began to warm in November, and now the Diamondbacks and Upton can finally part ways.

The last time the Braves pulled off a seven player deal, it was the Mark Teixera trade of 2007 that saw them deal future all stars Neftali Feliz, Elvis Andrus, and Matt Harrison to the Texas Rangers. Hopefully for the Braves, they won’t find out down the road the cost of reuniting the Upton brothers was just as expensive.