Texas snags No. 15 committment in 2013 class

On Wednesday afternoon, the Longhorns received their 15th overall commitment for Mack Brown’s 2013 recruiting class. Offensive guard Rami Hammad, a Rivals.com four-star recruit out of Irving, Texas, committed to Texas approximately one week after the offer went out. 

Hammad is the No. 31 offensive guard recruit in the country for the 2013 class. He stands at 6-foot-5 and 314 pounds and could potentially play either guard or tackle for Texas. 

“I’m going to make sure we’re the best O-line in the nation. I believe in the setting there,” Hammad said in his announcement. 

This is the third school that Hammad has committed to. He originally had committed to Oklahoma State this past summer before decommitting in order to keep his options open. Next, he promised his future to Baylor in November. However, Hammad quickly rose to national notice after a lights-out performance at the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl in California earlier this year. Texas contacted him regarding an official visit before an official offer was issued by Texas coach Stacy Searels after the All-American Bowl. 

Throughout the past few weeks, Texas led Baylor, Oklahoma and TCU in the hunt.

Hammad’s committment comes on the heels of JUCO offensive tackle Desmond Harrison’s verbal pledge to the Longhorns on Monday.