Texas cracks Top 20 in both the final AP and coaches' polls

Texas finished No. 19 in the final Associated Press poll and No. 18 in the final USA Today coaches' poll, both released Tuesday following Alabama's win over Notre Dame in Monday's BCS National Championship.
It marks the first time since 2009 that the Longhorns were included in the final polls. They finished No. 2 that season after falling to Alabama in that year's national title game. 
Texas was ranked No. 15 in both the AP and coaches' preseason polls, climbing to as high as No. 12 in the AP poll and No. 9 in the coaches' poll the week after the Longhorns took down Oklahoma State, 41-36, in their Big 12 opener Sept. 29. They were 4-0 at the time but fell in each of their next two contests  to West Virginia, 48-45, and to Oklahoma, 63-21. 
At 4-2, Texas was unranked in both polls, but won its next four games over Baylor, Kansas, Texas Tech and Iowa State, putting the Longhorns at No. 18 in the AP poll and No. 15 in the coaches' polls. But Texas lost consecutive games to TCU and Kansas State to close out its regular season, leaving the Longhorns unranked in the AP poll and at No. 25 in the coaches' poll. 
They overcame a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit to beat Oregon State, 31-27, in the Valero Alamo Bowl on Dec. 29. That victory gave head coach Mack Brown his 10th bowl victory during his tenure at Texas and gave his team a spot in the top 20 of each final poll.