Texas hires ASU's Larry Porter to be running backs coach

Arizona State running backs coach Larry Porter has been hired to the same position at Texas, the school announced Wednesday.

Porter helped the Sun Devils run for 205.3 yards per game in his only season at Arizona State, the 24th-most in the country. He also spent two years as the head coach at Memphis, going 3-21 between the 2010 and 2011 seasons. Before that, Porter coached running backs for 12 years, including three at Oklahoma State and five at LSU.

"We are very excited to have Larry Porter joining our staff," head coach Mack Brown said. "He brings a wealth of experience and has a reputation as one of the best coaches and recruiters in our game. Larry has spent a great deal of time in the Big 12 and SEC and has a strong familiarity with our state and staff. During his time at Oklahoma State and LSU, he did a tremendous job recruiting Dallas and Houston."

Co-offensive coordinator Major Applewhite, previously in charge of coaching Longhorns running backs, took over as play-caller and quarterbacks coach for Bryan Harsin, who was named Arkansas State's head coach earlier this month, leaving a vacancy in Texas' coaching staff. Porter filled that vacancy this week.

"I'm just really excited to be joining what I think is the best program in the country," Porter said. "The future of Texas football is very bright and being able to work with Coach Brown and so many guys I've known and worked with before is an opportunity I couldn't pass up. My family and I are really excited and looking forward to getting started."

A productive running game proved to be very important to Texas this season. In the Longhorns' nine wins this year, they averaged 208.4 rushing yards per game and averaged 5.1 yards per carry. In their four losses, they ran for 98.5 yards per game and averaged only 3.1 yards per carry.

"Having the opportunity to work under a man like Coach Brown, who I look at as a legend in college football, is an honor and a privilege," Porter said. "He has done so much for college football and is so well respected. I'm thrilled to be joining his staff and to be a part of a program that I've had such great admiration for."

While at LSU, Porter coached the likes of Joseph Addai and Jacob Hester and helped the Tigers win a national championship in 2007. He was a part of an LSU staff in 2005 that included current Texas defensive tackles coach Bo Davis and offensive line coach Stacy Searels, who also coached with Porter at LSU in 2006.

Addai ran for a team-high 911 yards in 2005, Porter's first as the Tigers' running backs coach, before being selected in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts. Addai was named NFL Rookie of the Year that season while helping the Colts win a Super Bowl.

Oklahoma State had someone run for at least 1,000 yards in each of Porter's three seasons as its running backs coach. Tatum Bell ran for 1,096 yards and 11 touchdowns under Porter's guidance in 2002 and rushed for 1,286 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2003  while Vernand Morency ran for 1,474 yards and 12 touchdowns for the Cowboys in 2005.

Porter's first college coaching job was as Tennessee-Martin's running backs coach in 1998. He spent one year there before serving as Arkansas State's running backs coach from 1999 to 2001. Jonathan Adams ran for 1,004 yards in each of Porter's last two seasons with the Red Wolves, leaving as the program's second-leading rusher.