Longhorn golfer Jordan Spieth to pursue professional career

Longhorns’ sophomore golfer Jordan Spieth announced Friday that he will forego his remaining collegiate eligibility in order to pursue a professional career.

It was uncertain whether Spieth would return to Texas for the Spring 2013 semester after he failed to earn his PGA Tour card at Q-School last month. He will have no status on any professional tour, and he will compete in PGA and Web.com Tour events on sponsor’s exemptions and Monday qualifiers in an attempt to earn enough money to reserve a spot on the PGA Tour.

Spieth was named Big 12 Player of the Year as a freshman last season, and he was vital to the Longhorns’ national championship run in 2012. The sophomore was having another strong season for Texas this year, but he decided that declaring professional status was the necessary decision for his future.

“The decision to turn pro was a difficult one, but I'm looking forward to the challenge of competing at the highest level and accomplishing the many goals I've set for myself on and off the course," said Spieth. "I owe everything I've achieved thus far to the support of my family, friends, teammates, and The University of Texas. While I'm proud of what my teammates and I have accomplished, I couldn't be more excited to fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a professional golfer."

Although the loss of Spieth will hinder the Longhorns’ chances of repeating as national champions in 2013, head coach John Fields is happy for the All-American and believes that his team will be ready to compete without him.

“Jordan Spieth is a remarkable young man," Fields said. "Though he is leaving early, he has left a positive, indelible mark on The University of Texas and our program. Jordan is first class - first class as a student, first class as a teammate. We will certainly miss him, but our future remains bright, and like him, this is a new beginning for all of us."