Reports: Texas co-offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin to be named Arkansas State head coach

Bryan Harsin's brief tenure as Texas' co-offensive coordinator appears to be over.

Harsin, who joined the Longhorns' coaching staff last January, will be named Arkansas State's head football coach Wednesday, according to multiple reports, one by's James Bryant among the first. Since he took over as Texas' co-offensive coordinator, Harsin's offense ranked in the bottom half of the Big 12 in both scoring and total offense in each of his two seasons on the job. This will be Harsin's first college head coaching job.

After Texas went 5-7 in 2010, the program's first losing season since 1997, Harsin was one of six new members to join the Longhorns' coaching staff before the beginning of the next season. Garrett Gilbert won a four-man battle for the starting quarterback spot before the 2011 campaign but underwent season-ending shoulder surgery and transferred to SMU after starting only two games. David Ash and Case McCoy have had their moments but have failed to separate themselves from one another since.

Harsin takes over for an Arkansas State team that went 9-3 and won its second Sun Belt Conference title since joining the league in 2005. After less than a year on the job, former Red Wolves head coach Gus Malzahn left to become the head coach at Auburn, where he was an offensive coordinator from 2009-11. Senior quarterback Ryan Aplin passed for 3,129 yards, 23 touchdowns and four interceptions last year. Aplin will leave Arkansas State as the Sun Belt's all-time leading passer.

Malzahn became the second straight coach to use Arkansas State as a stepping stone to the SEC. His predecessor, Hugh Freeze, went 6-6 in his first season as the head coach at Ole Miss this year.

A press conference is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon to make Harsin's hiring official.