UT recruits win playoff games

Despite the Texas football team’s on-field struggles, future Longhorns continue to excel as the high school football season nears its conclusion.

2013 Cibolo Steele safety Erik Huhn and 2014 dual-threat quarterback Denton Guyer Jerrod Heard each won their playoff games this weekend. Huhn and Heard are the only Texas commits whose teams are still in playoff contention.

Huhn led a suffocating Cibolo Steele defense to a 38-0 victory over North Edinburg in Kingsville on Saturday. Huhn has been a true difference maker in the Steele secondary since returning from an early season leg injury. Steele has surrendered only 5.7 points per game since Huhn’s return to the lineup – nearly a touchdown and extra point better than the 12.5 they gave up without him. Huhn and Steele will play San Antonio Brandeis next Saturday at the Alamodome in the state quarterfinals.

Heard continues to shred 4A competition on the ground and in the air. Heard rushed 20 times for 156 yards and 2 touchdowns to go with 122 yards and 1 touchdown through the air. In all, Heard accounted for 71% of Denton Guyer’s total yards in the 38-30 victory over Amarillo. Guyer will need an equally impressive output from their quarterback in their state quarterfinal game next week against Birdville.

Last week’s biggest recruiting victory, however, came on Monday, when Fort Worth All-Saints offensive lineman Demetrius Knox committed to Texas. Knox, a member of the 2014 class and teammate of fellow 2014 commit running back Daniel Gresham, is rated as a four-star prospect by rivals.com. He is widely regarded as one of the best offensive linemen in Texas, and is the first one to commit to UT for 2014. Knox chose Texas over committable offers from schools such as Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Ohio State. The 6-foot-5 300-pound prospect has the size and potential to be an elite bookend on the Texas line. He is the sixth commitment of the 2014 class.