Top booster McCombs voices support for Mack Brown

As rumors regarding the status of Texas head coach Mack Brown gain steam on fan message boards, notable Longhorns athletic donor Red McCombs told The Daily Texan on Wednesday that Brown would have the job as long as he wants it.

“I think we’ve been blessed to have Mack Brown as our coach I expect him to be the coach for manys years. In any event, if he were to leave the coaching job I’d expect that to be his prerogative and not somebody else’s,” McCombs said over the phone. “Any reports to the contrary are unfounded.”

Texas’ football program currently sits at a crossroads. Two wins in the next two games ­— Saturday at Kansas State and in the bowl game — would give the team 10 wins for the first time since 2009. But if the Longhorns fail to win another game, they’d finish 8-5 for the second season in a row. On paper, that hardly signals improvement.

In his Monday press conference, Brown was adamant that he’d plan to return for his 16th season. His contract, $5.3 million a year, runs through 2020. Later that afternoon, reports surfaced on premium fan sites and that boosters were growing wary of Brown’s direction of the program and impatient of its slow climb back to prominence after the 5-7 record in 2010.