Dallas Cowboys survive scare thanks to Dan Bailey's Golden Toe

It took overtime, but the Dallas Cowboys were able to skate by the Cleveland Browns 23-20. Thanks to a pair of clutch Dan Bailey field goals.

The first came with six seconds remaining in the game, only minute after the Browns scored the go-ahead touchdown with 1:07 left. Before that point the Cowboys had the momentum after stuffing Cleveland on the goal-line with less than two minutes remaining, but a nice Josh Cribbs return coupled with a horse collar tackle by John Phillps put the Browns on Dallas’ 17-yard line and in position to win the game.

The Browns took advantage of the opportunity.

On the very next play Brandon Weeden made his best throw of the game with a strike over the middle to Benjamin Watson for the go-ahead touchdown. 

The score put the Browns up by three, but a gutsy last-minute drive led by Tony Romo put Bailey in position for his game-tying kick.

In overtime each team failed to score on its first possession, making the game a sudden death contest. But Dallas got the ball back and wasn't about to waste another opportunity to win.

The Cowboys began the drive on Cleveland’s 48, but after a few short slants between Romo and Miles Austin they quickly reached the Browns 20.

From there, Bailey’s automatic leg ended the game on a 38-yard field goal. Bailey went 3-of-3 on field goal attempts and his teammates didn’t doubt for a second that he’d win them the game.

“I call Dan Bailey golden toe,” Cowboys safety Danny McCray said. “To me he’s automatic within his range... It was never a worry, we’re pretty sure Dan’s going to make every kick.”