Longhorn football gets head start for 2014

Though the 2013 UT recruiting class won’t officially sign with Texas until February, the Longhorns have already made significant headway with the 2014 class.

Texas currently holds five verbal commitments from high school juniors, all of which came during August. By comparison, the only other Big 12 schools with 2014 commits are Texas Tech and Oklahoma, which have two and one respectively. Alabama has only one 2014 commit, while Texas A&M and LSU each have two.

The five commitments include Houston Eisenhower running back Donald Catalon, Denton Guyer dual-threat quarterback Jerrod Heard, Abilene Cooper wide receiver Lorenzo Joe, Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal running back Daniel Gresham, and San Antonio Brennan defensive end Derick Roberson.

While Mack Brown’s program has pioneered the push to recruit younger players, the strategy for the 2014 class looks to be particularly aggressive, even by Texas’ standards. If players choose to commit to Texas before their senior season, they typically do so during or directly after Junior Day in early February. Picking up five commits who have yet to play a down of their junior seasons is unprecedented territory for the Longhorns.

Though some may argue that this is a sign of Texas being less “picky” than it has in the past, it’s worth bearing in mind that the 2014 class projects to be one of the deepest and most talented the state has seen. With (potentially) future five-stars like Tony Brown, Ed Paris, Hoza Scott, and Jamal Adams all high on the ‘Horns, Texas will likely sign a larger-than-normal class in 2014, especially with how few players will join the team in 2013.