[UPDATED] Source: Texas RHP John Curtiss has serious elbow injury, reportedly likely out for season

Longhorns sophomore right-hander John Curtiss could miss the beginning of this upcoming season with an elbow injury, a source close to the situation told the Daily Texan on Thursday. Curtiss was 2-3 with a 3.50 ERA in 22 appearances, including four starts, during his freshman campaign. He started the season in the starting rotation, losing to Duke and Stanford before being sent to the bullpen. He returned to the rotation for the Longhorns' regular season finale against Baylor, giving up one run in 4 2/3 innings of a 2-1 win over No. 7 Baylor May 19 and allowing four runs in six innings of what eventually became a season-ending, 4-2 loss to Kansas in the Big 12 tournament May 24. His status for a potential NCAA tournament alpearqnce was up in the air as he reportedly suffered a mild strain in his right elbow. But Texas missed out on the postseason for the first time since 1998. Now, there is a chance he will not be available for the beginning of next season as he has not yet recovered from his elbow injury. [UPDATE] Orangebloods.com's Dustin McComas is reporting that Curtiss has undergone successful Tommy John surgery, meaning he will likely miss all of next season.