Nadia Taylor to use fifth year of eligibility to play basketball

After spending four years on the Longhorns softball squad, Nadia Taylor will try her hand playing for the Texas women's basketball team.

NCAA guidelines allow student-athletes to have five years of eligibility, provided at least one of them is used on a different sport. Taylor, a four-year starter for Connie Clark's softball team, will now play for recently hired head women's basketball coach Karen Aston, who expressed her excitement to having Taylor join her squad.

"Nadia loves competition and wants to contribute in any manner she can. Anytime you can welcome someone to your team with an inherent sense of Texas pride, it's a plus," Aston said. "As a fifth-year student athlete, she has been able to help the young players adapt to Texas and understand what it means to be a part of the Texas legacy. In our situation, we're looking for leadership and Nadia will immediately add that to the team."

Taylor started 231 of a possible 234 games during her four seasons as the Longhorns' third baseman, posting a career batting average of .337 with 32 home runs and 132 RBIs. She lettered three times in basketball during her sophomore year at Humble High School and the last two years of her high school career at Atascocita, earning all-district honoros as a junior and senior. Taylor led her team in scoring and rebounding her senior season.

Taylor will be joining a team that loses three starters in guard Ashleigh Fontennete, guard Yvonne Anderson, and post Ashley Gayle, the program's all-time blocks leader. Aston is bringing a pair of highly-touted high schoolers in, 6-foot-7 center Imani Stafford and guard Empress Davenport, along with junior college transfers, guard Ashley Roberts and Lithuanian forward Gigi Mazionyte.