Senior soccer player Doniak in critical condition

Texas soccer player Kylie Doniak is in critical condition after a hit-and-run accident in downtown Austin early Friday morning.

UT Athletics confirmed the pedestrian critically injured after the incident was Doniak and 22-year-old Nicholas Colunga, is currently in police custody on charges in connection to the incident. Witnesses reported Colunga hit a group of pedestrians, and alcohol is suspected to be involved.

Witnesses told the APD they saw Doniak and a group of pedestrians walking north in the crosswalk on San Jacinto crossing Eighth Street, when the driver of a Chevy Impala ran a red light. The car then struck three pedestrians, two women and a man, and left the scene said Austin police spokeswoman, Veneza Aguinaga. The other woman was treated at the scene and the man suffered non-life threatening injuries. Aguinaga said Doniak and the man were taken to University Medical Center Brackenridge.

A motorcyclist who saw the incident followed the driver for several blocks. The suspect eventually stopped, exited his car, and was then tackled by the motorcyclist. Police arrived soon after and detained him.

The driver, Colunga, faces charges of driving while intoxicated and failure to stop and render aid, Aguinaga said.