Texas signs 28 recruits, class full of blue-chip talent

The Texas Longhorns inked 28 football recruits this morning during National Signing Day.

Texas entered Wednesday with 27 verbal commitments--all eventually signed--and got a late addition when Torshiro Davis chose UT over Louisiana State. Davis, a defensive end, told the coaching staff he wanted to play in the Big 12, where he could showcase his pass rushing ability against pass-heavy offenses.

"We're very excited about our signing class," said Texas head coach Mack Brown. "It's the largest one we've had in a while. It's a group that's pretty well balanced across the board."

The Longhorns signed a pair of five-star recruits in Brenham defensive tackle Malcolm Brown and Aledo tailback Johnathan Gray. The rest of UT's 2012 class featured 15 four-star prospects, 10 three-stars and one two-star (kicker Nick Jordan from Coppell).

The NCAA allows teams to sign up to 50 players every two years. Texas signed 22 players last season, allowing them to bring in 28 more in 2012.

The Longhorns filled every position on the field except for tight end. Texas all ready has seven tight ends on its roster and plans to move defensive tackle Greg Daniels to the position this year. Still, Brown said some of the newcomers could play the position. He mentioned defensive end Caleb Bluiett, Malcolm Brown and linebacker Dalton Santos as possibilities.

"We feel like some of these guys can play tight end," he said.

Texas finished the day with the No. 2 recruiting class nationally, according to rivals.com. But that doesn’t guarantee future success on the field.

"This is a starting point," Brown said. "This isn’t a finishing point. We need to do a great job bringing these guys along and making them productive players."