Deloss Dodds and Bill Powers recommend extending Mack Brown contract

Athletic Director Deloss Dodds and University President Bill Powers recommend on Tuesday to the University Board of Regents that Mack Brown’s contract be extended.

“We want Mack Brown to be The University of Texas football coach for as long as he wants,” Dodds and Powers said in a joint statement. “Consequently, we are recommending that the UT System Board of Regents extend Coach Brown’s contract an additional four years, taking it to 2020.”

Brown’s contract, which expires in 2016, is the only topic on the UT Board of Regents agenda on Thursday. Brown is 141-39 in his 14 years as head coach, and has averaged 10 wins a year during that time. Brown also won a national championship in 2005, and it is safe to say that his impact on the program has been immense in terms of both overall on-field success and financial gain. 

“He has achieved a level of success rare in college athletics and has done so with the class and integrity that embodies The University of Texas at Austin," Dodds and Powers said. “Our football program is in a great place thanks to Mack’s hard work. Mack is as energized as ever, has a great staff and an exciting young team. Our future is very bright.”

“We’re proud of everything Coach Brown does for us and, with this recommendation, are thrilled to have him leading our football program for years to come.”