Brown expected to receive contract extension

In Texas, football is king, so it makes sense Mack Brown will continue to be paid like one.

Texas head football coach Brown is expected to receive a four-year contract extension through the 2020, according to an anonymous source that tipped the Austin American-Statesmen.

On Thursday, The UT Board of Regents is set to have a telephone conference with Brown, the highest paid coach in college football, where it is expected they will offer to continue paying him annual raises of $100,000. Brown will make $5.2 million at the end of the year.

There is also reportedly a buyout clause that gives the power to dismiss Brown for $3.5 million if given six months' notice.

From a football and financial perspective alone, the extension was the right move. Despite going 13-12 over the past two seasons, the football program raked in about $95 million dollars last year and made a $71 million dollar profit. It adds so much value to the university and the face of it all is Mack Brown.

He is widely regarded as one of the best recruiters in the nation and is notorious for giving players the full protection under his guidance. Not to mention, athletes tend to prefer programs with tradition and continuity. It makes for difficult college careers when there are coaching changes midway through them. And though he’s spent the past two years rebuilding, Brown has led the Longhorns to an impressive 141-39 record in his tenure, appeared in two national title games, and even won the 2005 championship.

When you can bring in the best players in the country, win big football games, help your school secure multi-million dollar television contracts, and raise the overall prominence of the institution, an extension is a necessary and inevitable investment. And with the buyout clause, the option to fire Brown if his team continues underwhelm is not a terrible price to pay for someone who has heightened the value of the 40 Acres for 14 years.

Of course, it does make you wonder if that whole "head-coach-in-waiting" proposal ever had a chance.