Fantasy Frenzy: Rookies Jones, Dalton proving to be productive fantasy options

After a hamstring injury kept Julio Jones from playing for nearly a month, the No. 6 pick from this year’s NFL Draft caught three passes for 131 yards and two touchdowns in a 31-7 Atlanta’s win over Indianapolis. The Falcons traded five picks, including two first-rounders, to Cleveland so they could move up 21 spots and pick Jones, who has already notched three 100-yard games this year.

Here’s a list of who’s hot and who’s not after Week 9 of fantasy football.

HOT

Julio Jones,
Atlanta Falcons

After the Falcons traded a bounty of picks to move up and select the talented Alabama star, people everywhere praised the move that gave Matt Ryan a much needed second option. But up until this week, the trade hadn’t worked out. Jones has been injured much of the season and had yet to produce. On Sunday, however, he made the Falcons management look like geniuses as he went off for 131 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Jones gives Atlanta the deep threat they need to complement Roddy White. Expect solid fantasy numbers from him the rest of the season.

Andy Dalton,
Cincinnati Bengals

Cam Newton has stolen all the headlines this season as far as rookie quarterbacks go, but Dalton is quietly having a very good year for the 6-2 Bengals. He is hitting open receivers and showing a poise that some veteran quarterbacks struggle to find and he also puts up solid fantasy numbers. This weekend against the Titans, he threw for 217 yards and three touchdowns, good for 20 fantasy points in ESPN leagues. If you’re in a two-quarterback league or just need a bye week fill-in, look for Dalton to be a solid option the rest of the season.

Laurent Robinson,
Dallas Cowboys

He had another solid week for Dallas with nine fantasy points in ESPN leagues. This is after being signed off the couch seven weeks ago to give the team some receiver depth. Now he is Dallas’ established third string wideout and, on the heels of another Miles Austin injury, he should see even more balls thrown his way. Expect Robinson to be a top-20 fantasy receiver until Austin comes back. He is available in 98 percent of ESPN fantasy leagues, so he is also an easy wavier pickup.

COLD

Indianapolis Colts
The race for Andrew Luck seems to have a front-runner in the Colts as they are off to a 0-9 start. Without Peyton Manning, they have struggled mightily on offense and there is no reason to ever start a Colts player on fantasy at this point. This was exemplified in a 31-7 loss to the Falcons, where they just looked inept on offense. Sadly for the Colts, this kind of performance is now the norm. Stay away from playing any Colts player the rest of the season.

Ryan Torain,
Washington Redskins

He was the starter in Washington at the beginning of the year but only received one carry Sunday as he falls farther and farther into Mike Shanahan’s doghouse. Roy Helu got the bulk of the work with 10 carries and 14 catches out of the backfield for over 150 yards from scrimmage. Helu has earned the starters job for now, so if you have Torain on your roster you might want to consider dropping him in favor of the first-year back.