Fantasy Frenzy: Hot or Not?

After Week 7 of NFL action, let’s play out the old favorite — who’s hot and who’s not.

Hot:

DeMarco Murray,
Dallas Cowboys

When your name is mentioned with Emmitt Smith and Tony Dorsett, you know you had a great day. Murray rushed for 253 yards against the Rams on Sunday, breaking the Cowboys’ single game rushing record. Murray’s game may have also gained him a shot at the starting job, ahead of a struggling Felix Jones. Watch that situation closely and don’t be afraid to pick up Murray — he might well be the steal of the season.

Tim Tebow,
Denver Broncos

Well it certainly wasn’t pretty, but for the Broncos and fantasy owners, Tebow’s week was effective. Down 15 points, he led Denver back in the fourth quarter to tie the game up with just seconds left and eventually won in overtime. While his passing numbers weren’t spectacular, he still managed to put up 22 points in ESPN leagues. Tebow will never light up the scoreboard with his passing, but he looks like an effective starting quarterback for your lineup the rest of the way.

The New Orleans Saints offense
If you had a player on the Saints, you probably racked up the points thanks to their 62-point outburst against Indianapolis. Drew Brees spread the ball around beautifully and his receivers and running backs benefited.

Not:

Oakland Raiders quarterbacks
The trade for Carson Palmer was the talk of the NFL all of last week, but Palmer’s performance did not live up to the hype. He didn’t even start the game — that distinction was left to Kyle Bowler, who turned in a spectacular three-pick, 61-yard performance before he was benched at half. Palmer didn’t fare much better in the second half though, throwing for three picks as well. Both Raiders signal callers finished with negative point totals in fantasy, but expect Palmer to improve as he gets more familiar with the offense.

Chris Johnson,
Tennessee Titans

Johnson has had a horrible year after receiving his record-setting contract extension, and that slow start didn’t change on Sunday. Johnson only rushed for 18 yards on 10 attempts against a weak Houston run defense. Up until this season, Johnson was always a top-5 fantasy player, now he’s a borderline starter. His best chance to turn it around will come against the Colts next week, and if he can’t perform against that defense, he might just be done as a top-flight player.

Click here to follow the rest of the Fantasy Frenzy series.