Fantasy Frenzy: Start or sit?

Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman congratulates receiver Mike Williams during a recent game for the Buccaneers.

Week 6 is upon us. Just like every other week, you’ll have some tough decisions to make with your roster. Here are a few suggestions of players to start and to sit.

Start:

Josh Freeman, Tampa Bay Buccaneers — Freeman is a quarterback that leads his teams to wins and comes up clutch in the fourth quarter (except for last week’s embarrassing loss to San Francisco). But unfortunately for Freeman’s fans, his fourth quarter stats count for the same amount as the numbers in the other three — where Freeman is an average quarterback mostly because of Tampa Bay’s heavy reliance on the run. But this week, he will be forced to throw the ball to keep up with the explosive New Orleans Saints, so expect at least 300 yards throwing and a few touchdowns.

Cedric Benson, Cincinnati Bengals — The former Longhorn running back hasn’t had the greatest start to the season. He’s seen eight man fronts all year as defenses try to force rookie quarterback Andy Dalton to throw. But this week Benson comes up against a very favorable matchup with the Colts’ run defense, so he is a must start.

Mike Williams, Tampa Bay Buccaneers — The wideout has had a horrendous start this year with only 183 yards in five games after a stellar rookie campaign where he compiled 1,147 yards and 12 touchdowns. Expect Williams to get back on track this weekend against New Orleans, as Freeman should be targeting his most talented receiving option early and often.

Sit:

Santana Moss, Washington Redskins — Moss has been a solid fantasy option this season, averaging just under nine points a contest. But this week, the Redskins are going against an Eagles team that desperately needs a win, and a desperate team is a dangerous one. Expect Washington’s offense to be handcuffed all game, especially Moss who will be covered by this off-season’s biggest prize, Nnamdi
Asomugha.

Joseph Addai, Indianapolis Colts — Without Peyton Manning, the Colts have struggled, and Addai is no exception. He has only 249 yards and a touchdown this year, and to make matters worse, he went down with a hamstring injury last week. Don’t expect Addai to provide anything for your lineup this weekend, as it is questionable as to whether he will even see the field.

Jahvid Best, Detroit Lions — The second-year running back had a breakout game Monday against the Bears, rushing for 163 yards and a touchdown. But because Best had only rushed for 190 total yards in four previous games, his owners should be careful of the statistical anomaly. This week Best comes up against a stingy San Francisco defense, further raising the likelihood he will underperform.