Fantasy Frenzy: Week 5

Tim Tebow almost led the Denver Broncos to a dramatic comeback victory over the San Diego Chargers Sunday, sparking a quarterback controversy. If he wins the job, he could be worth picking up.

Week 5 of the fantasy season is in the books. Here are a few fantasy players who had scorching performances, plus a few who made owners shake their heads in disgust.

Victor Cruz,
New York Giants

One great game can be an anomaly and two can still be a fluke. But when you get to three, it becomes a trend. Cruz has now ascended into trend territory after an eight-catch 161-yard day against the Seahawks. This is the third straight game where he has 98 yards or more, and he is quickly becoming Eli Manning’s second favorite receiver behind Hakeem Nicks.

Tim Tebow,
Denver Broncos

The NFL’s most talked about backup finally saw the field after starter Kyle Orton struggled in the first half, and he performed well. Tebow passed for 79 yards and made a real impact running the ball, finishing the day with 16 points in ESPN leagues. Denver is heading into its bye week and with a full-blown quarterback controversy, but look for the former Heisman winner to come out on top.

A.J. Green,
Cincinnati Bengals

The rookie has quietly been one of the most consistent options at wide receiver this year, putting up 10 or more points in each of his first four games. Expect Green to keep it up next week with the Bengals taking on a weak Colts secondary.

Thomas Jones,
Kansas City Chiefs

He just hasn’t gotten the job done filling in for Jamaal Charles. Jones is only averaging three points a game since becoming the starter and — even worse — he hasn’t averaged more than 3.3 yards a carry in any of those games. Jones should ride your bench for a while and, if he doesn’t turn it around quickly, should be dropped for a steadier option.

Mario Manningham,
New York Giants

As Cruz has gone up in the Giants pecking order, Manningham has fallen. He has not had more than five fantasy points yet, and since coming back from injury two weeks ago, has only been targeted six times. Watch carefully next week to see his targets, and if they’re lower than Cruz’s, it might be time to hit the waiver wire.

Kevin Kolb,
Arizona Cardinals

Four points from your quarterback: ouch. That was the number Kolb put up this week, following a five point-performance the week before. With little talent outside other than Larry Fitzgerald, Kolb is struggling. Therefore, he should never see the light of your
starting lineup.

Printed on October 11, 2011 as: Cruz becoming reliable fantasy option