Which show does it better, "American Idol" or "The Voice?"

“The Voice” and “American Idol” are two of the biggest singing competitions in America. Both series are based on the concept of finding the next big recording artist, but which show does it best?

This is a breakdown of the five elements that make a successful vocal reality show, as a showdown between “The Voice” and “American Idol.”

Best show format: “The Voice”

In “The Voice,” the judges focus soley on, well, the voice. Judges decide to either turn around in their chairs, signaling that they are interested in having the vocalist on their team, or remain with their backs turned. Once all of the singers are claimed, artists compete on teams to win the coveted title of “The Voice.” The show’s format allows the judges to give honest and helpful feedback while creating a bond with each competitor.

After 12 seasons, America has grown tired of the “American Idol” layout as well as the panel of judges, which is constantly in flux. “American Idol” employs a panel of always changing celebrity judges who critique the contestants’ performances on a weekly basis, down to the amount of attitude and spunk that each contestant exudes. The judges offer advice to help the singer have a stronger performance next week, but in the past seasons many judges have said they enjoyed it and rarely offered helpful tips.  

Best judges: “The Voice”

Both shows have a slew of famous faces filling their judging panel. But “The Voice” has boybander Adam Levine of Maroon 5, country crooner Blake Shelton, sultry powerhouse Christina Aguilera and over-the-top Cee Lo Green. Last season, Usher and Shakira filled the chairs for Cee Lo and Christina. Regardless of the season, “The Voice” continues to have popular judges who know what it takes to make it in today’s music industry. 

“American Idol” has pop-sensation Jennifer Lopez, country guitarist and singer Keith Urban and is welcoming multitalented musician Harry Connick, Jr. to the panel. The last few years have proved rocky for the singing show. With a constant flux of judges, including Mariah Carey, Ellen DeGeneres and Nicki Minaj, “American Idol” has yet to find a panel of judges that has the chemistry and knowledge that the original panel (Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson ) possessed.

Best host: “American Idol”

“The Voice” is hosted by Carson Daly. When Carson Daly comes to mind, so does MTV’s “Total Request Live” (TRL) and that is about it...

No one says “and this is ‘American Idol’” quite like reigning host Ryan Seacrest. You would think after 12 devoted seasons Seacrest would have said goodbye to the tickets to Hollywood and the mobs of competitors, but he hasn’t. Even with a never ending schedule, Seacrest still dutifully commits to the show.

Best previous winners: “American Idol”

After four successful seasons, “The Voice” has still yet to produce a winner who has made a huge impact on the music world. Despite several hits by contestants including “Come Along” by Vicci Martinez and “Champagne” by Cassadee Pope, “The Voice” still hasn’t placed a successful artist in the music world. “The Voice”’s best bet for high record sales lie with season 3 winner Cassadee Pope. 

Should we even begin to count the famous faces that skyrocketed to success with “American Idol”? Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jordin Sparks and Phillip Phillips are just a few. Not to mention, even singers who don’t win often go on to have a successful career. Just look at season three finalist Jennifer Hudson who won an Academy Award for her work in “Dreamgirls.” “American Idol” contestants and winners almost always go on to dominate the radio waves. 

Overall winner: “The Voice” 

“American Idol” really needs to up the ante this year if they want to dominate the ratings and compete with “The Voice”, which won an Emmy for Outstanding Reality Competition, an accomplishment that “American Idol” has yet to achieve after 13 years.