Austin events for Aug. 29

It’s the second day of class, which means it’s just about time to start procrastinating on homework. This Thursday, get away from campus for one of these three events happening around Austin.

1. KGSR’s Unplugged at the Shady Grove

For the past 20 years, KGSR has been hosting acoustic sets of (usually) local musicians at the Shady Grove. The food is a little expensive for a college budget, but if you’re of age a glass of sangria is the perfect way to keep cool amongst the crowd at the Grove. Tonight’s act is local folk musician Shakey Graves, who plays at 8 p.m.

2. “The School of Rock” 10-Year Reunion

If you’re a big “School of Rock” fan, consider spending the $160 it will cost you to get into the 10th anniversary screening and exclusive V.I.P. after-party at the Paramount Theatre this evening. Filmmaker Richard Linklater, writer Mike White and lead actor Jack Black will all be in attendance at the screening, and the band from the movie will be giving a performance at the after party. If you want to celebrate the anniversary without spending textbook money, we recommend singing along to the movie at top volume in your dorm room or apartment. 

3. “Better Off Dead” Quote-Along 

Celebrate overdramatic teenage angst with John Cusack at Alamo Drafthouse Cinema-The Ritz. The "Better Off Dead" Quote-Along starts at 7 p.m. The cult-classic features Cusack in one of his first starring roles and ends with a climactic skiing race. If that doesn’t scream '80s cheesy goodness, what does?