UT professors to write 16 books about Texas

University professors will write 16 books about various aspects of Texas history and culture. Look for the first one in 2017. Photo courtesy of UT Press

The University of Texas forges new publishing ground with the recently announced Texas Bookshelf. The University of Texas Press claims it is “the most ambitious and comprehensive publishing endeavor about the culture and history of one state ever undertaken."

Of course UT is the first to pursue publishing 16 books and an accompanying website all about the state it's named after by the year 2017. Let’s just hope some out-of-state-ers are as interested in all things Texas as we are.

The first book is a complete history of our fair state by Stephen Harrigan, which he calls an “epic chronicle.” Oh my! The next 15 books will follow over the course of five years, covering topics like sports, film, music, politics and so much more!

If nothing else, look at this uber cool black and white photo of professors/contributing authors looking like the cast of a late-'90s TV show. If only they were posed on the stairs of an urban apartment stoop.