SNL in review: Melissa McCarthy

Are you freaking kidding me, "Saturday Night Live"?

Last night, Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly, Bridesmaids, Identity Thief) hosted for the second time. And for the second time, SNL typecast McCarthy and made almost every sketch about her weight.

I understand that, in the writing of every episode, the guest host for the week has a fair amount of say in the sketches and the way they’re written. But I really don’t understand why McCarthy gets put in the same Nancy Reagan wig with the same Coca Cola-bottle glasses wearing the same pastel sweatsuit, making the same jokes that revolve around her being awkward, unattractive, unfeminine and food-obsessed. There were two whole skits revolving around food. She sang an ode to ham and asked for a loan to be a professional pizza eater. The first time she hosted the show, she played a lady with a perm and a Spock sweatshirt who guzzled ranch dressing. Are you freaking kidding me?

McCarthy is a hilarious and beautiful actress but I feel like her go-to kooky lady character is so exhausted. It’s as if because she doesn’t fit the typical Hollywood body type she isn’t allowed to play a glamorous, or even normal, woman. Instead she is casted in masculine and sexually unattractive roles.

I am getting the impression that Hollywood believes women can’t be attractive and genuinely funny at the same time, that women are only funny if something about them is physically amiss.

This whole episode was just … ugh.

But hey, Drunk Uncle and drunk Peter Dinklage were actually quite funny.