Torchy’s April Taco of the Month — the Holy Diver

Editor’s Note: In the interest of full disclosure, Bobby Blanchard, the author of this blog post, has an unhealthy relationship with Torchy’s Tacos. And by unhealthy, we mean he eats there on a tri-weekly basis.

To me, April 1st meant two things. One: April Fools' Day (yuck) and two: Torchy’s Tacos had a new taco of the month (yum.)

April’s taco of the month is called the Holy Diver, and it has more ingredients than you can fit in your mouth at once. Packed inside a flour tortilla is a grilled achiote shrimp on a bed of cabbage slaw, covered with chopped mango, pickled onions and jalapenos, queso fresco and cilantro.

Out of a historical dislike of seafood, I had never eaten shrimp before. But for tacos, and especially for Torchy's, I am willing to try anything. I was not disappointed.

Because of the onslaught of ingredients, each bite has a bit of a different taste to it — it's tough to get every ingredient in your mouth at the same time. That makes eating this taco an adventure of sorts. It’s also a challenge to keep it all together in one tortilla.

On the spiciness spectrum, this taco is tame. You don’t even need a drink to wash it down. Depending on your tastes, this could be either a very good thing or very bad thing. Personally, I prefer a bit more kick. The abundance of other ingredients and flavors almost makes up for the lack of spice, but I think the taco would have fared better if Torchy’s had replaced one of the Holy Diver’s many ingredients with some kind of hot sauce. Of course, you can always add your own sauce.

March’s Chicken Waffle Taco is a tough act to follow — but somehow Holy Diver isn’t stuck in the shadows. April only has 30 days, so I recommend you give the taco a shot. I will not be deviating from my regular Trashy Trailer Park taco, but that doesn’t mean I regret trying it.