Why Spring break needs to step up to the plate

Like an unrelenting freight train heading straight for a cliff, the spring semester here at UT has refused to give up even for a moment. A crisis is mounting.

In the same way that alcohol and prescription drugs don’t mix, piles of schoolwork and lack of sleep are combining to produce a volatile cocktail of despair and late-night Qdoba. In the face of overwhelming stress, the human body simply shuts down. Rudimentary operations like laundry and exercise cease to occur. College students are slowly dying off.

Well, enough is enough. We need you, spring break.

As responsible college students, we reserve unalienable rights, rights that can and should be exercised freely. It’s high time a beacon of justice was lit to rally around. The fetters of our college education cannot hold forever.

Students, we deserve the right to procrastinate freely without pangs of guilt. We should be allowed to catch up on "Game of Thrones" without failing a test in Spanish class.

We deserve the right to take a shower without wearing flip-flops to protect our feet from the bodily excretions of ages passed. Heck, we should be able to sit in the shower.

And above all, we deserve the right to go to sleep at 4 a.m. and not bear the consequences of that decision. Starting a movie at 3 a.m.? Why not?

At the heart of this present emergency lies a fundamental need for us to ignore our real-world responsibilities and reform our school’s academic calendar. Spring break can’t be in a week, it can’t be in a few days. Spring break needs to happen now.

Save us from our impending doom, spring break. We need you now more than ever.