SNL in review: Kevin Hart

Saturday’s host was pint-size comedian and actor Kevin Hart with musical guests Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Hart’s ability to be extremely excited while talking a mile a minute got the episode off to a strong start but eventually wound down to end things with a whimper, not a bang. Sketches like “The Shark Tank” and “360 News” were, frankly, not funny at all.

Here are some of the night’s highlights:

Kevin Hart’s monologue: Hart opened with a short and sweet bit about watching a homeless man palm someone’s sandwich. He avoided the awkwardness of past comedy monologues on SNL, the prime example being Dane Cook pacing about the stage like a crazy man in 2005 and 2006.

Steve Harvey Show-Phobias: Oh, Kenan Thompson, I love you. You’re the funniest person on SNL right now, and your Steve Harvey impression made me laugh so hard, I choked on my drink.

New Pope: Hart plays the ever-precious Quvenzhané Wallis as she is crowned the spiritual leader of the Catholics. Who doesn’t want Quvenzhané Wallis to be pope? Also, pope jokes will never get old. Ever.

Barnes & Noble Firing: Bobby Moynihan and Cecily Strong reprise their roles as two gratuitously profane minimum wage laborers. Hart can’t manage a straight face as Carl, played by Tim Robinson, creeps over his shoulder. That’s the way the popcorn pops.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis-Thrift Shop: Macklemore jumps around in red pants, gold epaulets and a black leather tank top while Ryan Lewis tries his darndest to be a hype man/beat dropper in a white fur jacket. Watch for the horn section's varying degrees of being “into it.”

Bonus Pope jokes: Check out Weekend Update for more pope jokes! I really cannot get enough of these pope jokes, y’all.