Weekend Recs: Erin Ivey, Voices of Veteran, Austin Gorilla Run

WHAT: Erin Ivey Concert
WHEN: Friday, Jan. 20 at 8 p.m.
WHERE: The Texas Union, Cactus Cafe
ADMISSION: $10

Erin Ivey has built a reputation as one of Austin’s best urban folk singers. Her 2011 album, Broken Gold, a collaboration with R&B-dub trio The Finest Kind, was recently named one of the last year’s best albums by Texas Music Magazine and KUT’s Kevin Connor. However, in contrast to that more experimental album, Ivey will be switching gears this Friday at the Cactus Cafe with a stripped-down, solo performance.

WHAT: Every Veteran Has a Story to Tell
WHEN: Thursday, Jan. 19 at 9 to 5 p.m.
WHERE: Texas Capitol: Texas Capitol Visitors Center
ADMISSION: Free

Take a trip by the Texas Capitol to see the exhibit “Every Veteran Has a Story to Tell.” Rather than merely having historians providing perspective on modern wars from World War II to Iraq, the exhibit will feature interviews conducted by the Voices of Veterans program directly from Texas veterans. While far from the being able to experience war, the exhibit will provide a realistic understanding of the emotions that occur in war every day.

WHAT: The Austin Gorilla Run
WHEN: Saturday, Jan. 21 at 9 a.m.
WHERE: Fado Irish Pub
214 W. Fourth St.
ADMISSION: $100

Though somewhat pricey, the $100 admission for the second annual Austin Gorilla Run will go directly to The Mountain Gorilla Conservation Fund, which protects the endangered Mountain Gorilla and creates jobs in Uganda, Rwanda and the Dominican Republic of Congo. The price also includes a gorilla suit to keep, brunch from Fado Irish Pub at the afterparty and a music performance by Achachay. But the chance to run a 5k with 749 fellow runners through downtown in full gorilla costume is simply priceless.

WHAT: City Wide Annual Free Day of Dance!
WHEN: Saturday, Jan. 21 at 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
WHERE: EsquinaTango, Cultural Society of Austin
209 Pedernales St.
ADMISSION: Free

The group EsquinaTango will be sponsoring free dance lessons all day Saturday in Austin featuring their long list of expert dancers. Whether it is Brazilian street dance, samba or salsa and whether you are a beginner or pro, there will be a time for just about anybody to get moving in Austin.