Apron Optional: Tied up with a bow

Apron Optional cooks up Simply Scratch's Creamy Lemon and Chive Farfalle. This version adds a bit more color and richness with some extra cheese and a sprinkling of peas.

Hey everyone! I’m back in America and still a little jetlagged.

If you plan accordingly with your grocery shopping, as my family always does, then your post-vacation fridge is usually pretty bare. While this is good in theory, it means very few food options upon arrival back home.

Not really wanting to go out to the store (I’m still in a bit of a late summer lull) I scrounged for a filling recipe I could make sans groceries. Then, as if it had descended from heaven: a recipe for creamy lemon and chive farfalle (bowtie pasta).

This pasta dish is great because (for the most part) it contains ingredients I usually keep in my kitchen anyway. The slight tanginess of the lemon juice and zest cuts the heaviness of the dish, making it a very satisfying meal.

It’s also great because you can substitute the ingredients to fit your current fridge stock. In the past, I’ve used white onion and garlic instead of chives and shallots. Not quite the same flavor, I’ll admit, but just as delicious.

In the past, I have added shrimp to the pasta to make it more of a meal but pieces of chicken or chicken sausage work fine as well. This time, I added about half a cup of frozen peas for some color and well, for the sake of peas.

One of the joys of being home at my parents is that there is always white wine in the house — perfect for cooking and keeping your company occupied. However, if you find yourself short a bottle (or like me, simply don’t want to make the trip to get it), low sodium chicken or vegetable broth is a fine substitute.

The original recipe comes from the food blog Simply Scratch, a gold mine of easy dishes from scratch. This was one of the first places I started looking for recipes when I got into cooking because the author makes everything seem so achievable — a good quality for beginners with shaky confidence.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have some carbo-loading to do. No, I’m not a runner — I just eat like a pro.