How Paxton indictment and possible resignation could affect UT

Current Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton was indicted August 1 on three counts of felony for illegal business practices. While he has yet to be convicted in criminal court on any of these counts, his charges alone have instigated debate as to whether or not he ought to resign from office and end his short tenure as Texas attorney general.

Paxton's resignation has become a real possibility, as either damaged credibility or impending trial and possible conviction may coerce such action. So the question arises: How would Paxton's resignation affect the University of Texas?

Any worthy answer to this must first consider Paxton's stances and actions, his history with UT and any issues facing UT that may involve the attorney general's office, then compare his office's predicted responses on such future issues to those of his successor. But, as he is not out of office and without need of a successor (yet), the answer, rather disappointingly, is difficult to know with any certainty.

But, a review of the relationship between the attorney general's office under Paxton and UT suggests that the latter could be pleased.

Paxton's office gave express permission to controversial UT System Regent Wallace Hall to file suit against the very system he oversees, so he could gain access to files on admissions previously denied him by the University. The allowance drew the ire of UT System Chancellor William McRaven and, presumably, that of other UT officials. So Paxton's potential evacuation of office could be a boon to the UT System as a long, bitter showdown looms.

Clark is the Associate Editor. He is an English senior from Lake Highlands. Follow him on Twitter @DavisClarkDT.