Let's hope the football team can move on quickly from Sanders/Meander case

Texas head coach Charlie Strong has dismissed nine players and suspended three more for violating team rules since taking over at the helm of the Longhorns in January.

Over the summer, two football players, Kendall Sanders and Montrel Meander, were arrested after allegedly assaulting a female student in a campus dorm. Following the arrests, Coach Strong suspended both players from the team for an indefinite amount of time. On Aug. 3, he announced that they had been dismissed from the team because of the charges brought against them.  

Months later, the case has resurfaced. According to documents from the Travis County Court, the jury found enough evidence to indict the two players, which means the trial will proceed. The two players are set to appear in court Friday.  

It doesn't take a sports expert or Longhorn football fanatic to know that sexually assaulting someone created a PR nightmare for the University, not to mention the slew of negative stereotypes about athletes that were affirmed after the news of the assault broke.  

This scandal has, unfortunately, marred the clean record that Coach Strong has worked hard to attain since his arrival to Austin. While the Longhorns might not have had the best season, the team worked hard to improve its public image and reputation on campus and across the country — something which should be valued as highly as a winning score.  

Hopefully, the trial will be quick and painless so the University of Texas, Coach Strong, the Longhorns and their fans can get on with next season, hopefully one devoid of assault or any other negative publicity.   

Berkeley is an associate editor.