Strong first step after scandal

On June 21, two UT football players — Kendall Sanders and Montrel Meander — allegedly sexually assaulted a young woman who Meander had met earlier in the evening at a Sixth Street bar. In documents quoted by Burnt Orange Nation and Bleacher Report, horrendous details are revealed about the players' alleged assault.

Sexual assault, sadly, is a huge problem at universities throughout the country, including the University of Texas at Austin. Studies suggest that as many as 1 in 4 college women will be the victim of a sexual assault during their time at college. The vast majority of these crimes go unreported, and even more are not prosecuted. The perpetrators, almost always serial offenders, are left unpunished to continue inflicting terror and unspeakable violence against the unwilling. Typically, the higher status of the offender, the less justice is given to the victim.

Fortunately, for the aforementioned incident, this does not look to be the case. The victim bravely reported the violence committed against her to the proper authorities. Today, prosecutors announced that both football players would be charged with sexual assault, a second degree felony in Texas which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison. An additional charge of improper photography was also leveled.

Furthermore, UT football coach Charlie Strong announced that both players would be suspended indefinitely, with more severe punishments sure to come down the line if the players are found guilty of the accusations made against them.

Horwitz is an associate editor.