Celebrating 2019 National Hispanic Heritage Month

Photo Credit: Barbra Daly | Daily Texan Staff

Hispanic Heritage Month begins Sept. 15, on the anniversary of independence for many Latin American countries, including Costa Rica, Guatemala and Nicaragua, among others. Festivities will come to an end on Oct. 15, just after Columbus Day, Día de la Raza, on Oct. 12.

Austin boasts many cultural events that celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month. Nancy Flores, Austin American-Statesman community affairs reporter and columnist, spoke to The Daily Texan about this months can’t miss events.

Fiesta Austin at Fiesta Gardens 

Tejano star David Farias will headline Fiesta Austin. Farias’ performance will feature Max Baca, the creator of conjunto band Los Texmaniacs. The band honors the roots of conjunto Tejano — also known as Tex-Mex music — while incorporating the sounds of rock ‘n’ roll and jazz. This annual festival will host food vendors, live painting and a washer pitching tournament. For washer pitching, picture a game of cornhole with metal washers and a smaller hole. On Sept. 14, admission to the fiesta is free from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., then $5 afterward for ages 13 and older until it ends at 10 p.m.

Viva México: A Celebration of Independence 

The Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center and Frida Friday ATX will host free entertainment including art projects, dance performances, food trucks and live music. Performers include Son de Rey, Mariachis Las Alteñas and the Ballet Folklórico de Austin. Due to limited free parking at the center, free shuttle parking will also be available from Martin Middle School and Sanchez Elementary throughout the entire event on Sept. 14 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

El Grito ATX 2019 at the Texas State Capitol  

Univision 62 Austin will present the free event on Sept. 15, complete with food vendors, cultural activities and live music. La Reunion Norteña, a North Mexico and Texas folk music band, will headline the festival. The event starts at 5 p.m., and will highlight the famous reenactment of what is called “Grito,” or a yell for independence. It commemorates “Grito de Dolores,” the “Cry of Dolores,” a call by Catholic priest Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla to fight for independence from Spain on Sept. 16, 1810 — a date that is now considered Mexican Independence Day. 

On-Campus Concert  

The Butler School of Music will present their second-annual Hispanic Heritage Month Concert at the Bates Recital Hall. The performance is organized by Katia Osorio, a bassoonist and music performance senior. The event aims to encourage students to explore Hispanic and Latin music outside of Western influences. Admission is free for the event on Oct. 5, 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.