Democrats take control of US House of Representatives

Photo Credit: Courtesy of Chip Roy | Daily Texan Staff

While Republicans held onto the U.S. Senate, the Democratic Party gained control of the U.S. House of Representatives last night after eight years of Republican control.

“A Democratic congress will work for solutions that bring us together, because we have all had enough of division,” said Nancy Pelosi, minority House leader, in an address to the public.

The party needed to gain 23 seats to flip control of the house. At press time, they had gained 25 seats, according to The New York Times.

At press time, Democrats held 10 of 36 seats in Texas districts and flipped two, Districts 7 and 32. Another district, 23, was still undecided but Republican incumbent Will Hurd was leading. The Republican Party held seats in Congressional Districts 10, 21 and 25 after neck-and-neck races.

“Texas is still a Republican state, and there are just more Republicans than there are Democrats,” said Gary Teal, executive director of the Travis County Republican Party.

Chip Roy won U.S. House District 21 in a tight race against Democrat Joseph Kopser. At press time, Roy held 51 percent of the votes, followed by Kopser with 47 percent.

Since 1986, District 21 has been represented by Republican Lamar Smith, who is retiring at the end of this term. Roy said he is committed to using his position to fixing what he believes is broken in Washington.

“I’ve worked in the bowels of ‘the swamp’ if you will,” Roy previously told The Daily Texan. “What’s broken is the extent to which the representatives that we send to Washington are not actually working for us. They’re not working towards the ends that the people want.’”

Republican incumbent Roger Williams will represent U.S. House District 25 for a fourth term, after a win against Democrat Julie Oliver. At press time, Williams had 54 percent of the vote, which was 10 percentage points higher than Oliver.

“I know what it’s like for a party to not be able to win races. It’s tempting to make jokes about meeting in a phone booth,” Teal said. “The truth is, the only place in town we can meet is Memorial Stadium because there were 85,000 people who voted in the Republican primary. That’s a lot of people.”

Republican incumbent Michael McCaul held his position as representative of U.S. House District 10, after a race against Democrat Mike Siegel.