Big 12 Notebook – Week 7

Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby speaks to reporters after The Big 12 Conference meeting in Grapevine, Texas, Monday, Oct. 17, 2016.
Photo Credit: AP Photo/ LM Otero

Big 12 board of chairmen vote not to expand

After months of rumors and meetings, the Big 12 board of chairmen have decided to not expand the Big 12 conference. The decision was confirmed Monday night by Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby in a press conference.

The Big 12 had reportedly been considering expanding the conference, with Houston, Cincinnati, BYU and Connecticut being the frontrunners. The conference even held “pitch” meetings with 12 schools in contention. Ultimately, the Big 12 schools came to a decision to remain at ten members, saying that they favored the current round-robin schedule. 

However, Bowlsby didn’t close the door completely on the idea of expanding, saying in the press conference that it’s “just off the table at this time.”

West Virginia rolls over Texas Tech

West Virginia had its best game of the season against Texas Tech in Lubbock, beating the Red Raiders 48-17. The Mountaineers limited Texas Tech’s offense, one of the best in the country, to only 379 yards and two touchdowns. West Virginia’s offense flourished against the Red Raiders defense, totaling 318 yards through the air and 332 yards on the ground. West Virginia looks to remain undefeated next week when it plays TCU.

Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes II, despite putting up 305 passing yards, still seems to be struggling with a shoulder injury from the game against Kansas. This is a bad sign for a team that, with a porous defense and little running game, relies almost exclusively on its quarterback to win games. Texas Tech is in for a tough challenge next week when it hosts Oklahoma.

Oklahoma, Baylor take care of the Kansas teams

Oklahoma continued its impressive Big 12 play against Kansas State Saturday, winning 38-17. The Wildcats couldn’t stop Sooner quarterback Baker Mayfield throughout the game, allowing him to pass for 346 yards and four touchdowns. 

Kansas State had trouble starting the running game and couldn’t keep up with Oklahoma’s offensive production. Oklahoma will play Texas Tech next week, while Kansas State hosts Texas.

Baylor made quick work of Kansas last weekend, putting up 21 points in each of the first two quarters of a 49-7 rout. 

Turnovers plagued Kansas all throughout the game. The Jayhawks turned over the ball five times, and their offense couldn’t get anything going. 

However, despite the dominant win, Baylor quarterback Seth Russell appeared to struggle with accuracy, completing only nine out of 22 passes. 

Baylor will have a bye week this weekend while Kansas will host Oklahoma State.

Top Big 12 teams continue to rise in AP Poll

After its blowout of Kansas, Baylor finally broke into the top ten, nabbing the No. 9 spot. West Virginia made the biggest climb, jumping eight spots to No. 12 — its highest ranking since the 2012 season, when it was ranked as high as 5th. Oklahoma also rose three spots to No. 16.