- Start your summer right — and without breaking the bank — by checking out The Daily Texan’s picks for 10 free events this June.
- Giant Chess
- June 4, 12:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- Wooldridge Square Park, 900 Guadalupe St., Austin, TX 78701
In an effort to keep local parks busy, the Austin Parks Foundation will host a series of knee-high chess games throughout the city. All levels are welcome, and instructors will be available to teach beginners.
- Ninth Annual Austin Bug (Eating) Festival
- June 4, 4 p.m.
- in.gredients, 2610 Manor Rd., Austin, TX 78722
in.gredients will host this year’s bug festival, where visitors can learn about insects, sample products made with bugs and watch a cooking demonstration. Dogs are welcome and can sample their own cricket-based dog food.
- Austin Symphony Hartman Foundation Concerts in the Park
- June 5 (every Sunday), 7:30 p.m.
- Long Center, 701 W. Riverside Dr., Austin, TX 78704
Grab your blankets and lawn chairs because the Austin Symphony Orchestra is putting on a strings performance on the Long Center lawn this Sunday. Other performances include the woodwind section, playing on June 12, a Big Band performance on June 19 and a show by the brass section on June 26.
KGSR’s Unplugged at the Grove
- June 9, 23, 30, 8 p.m.
- Shady Grove, 1624 Barton Springs Rd., Austin, TX 78704
KGSR will continue its annual concert series at Shady Grove this summer. June performances include Carson Mchone on June 2, Harvest Thieves on June 9 and more. Entrance is free, and food and drinks will be available for purchase.
- Oscar Winners
- June 10-11, 8 p.m.
- Zilker Hillside, 2100 Barton Springs Rd., Austin, TX 78704
This two-night summer concert series will feature Oscar-winning soundtracks to movies such as “Frozen,” “Star Wars” and “The Lord of the Rings.” All ages are welcome to listen to the music under the stars.
- Arts from the Streets Fundraiser
- June 12, 4–7 p.m.
- Lucky Lounge, 209A W. 5th St., Austin, TX 78701
Shop for beautiful works of art while benefitting a good cause with Arts from the Streets’ annual fundraising event, Show & Sale, at the Lucky Lounge. All pieces for purchase are originals created by homeless Austin artists, and all proceeds will be given directly to the artists.
- Blanton’s Third Thursday
- June 16, 12 – 9 p.m.
- Blanton Museum, 200 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Austin, TX 78701
Festivities will begin with a yoga session in the Blanton galleries at 12 p.m., followed by a series of concerts inspired by the art on display at the museum. At 6:30 p.m., “The Milk of Sorrow,” a foreign film about Peruvian women, will be screened. The evening will conclude with an art tour at 7:20 p.m.
- Blues on the Green
- June 22, 7:30 p.m.
- Zilker Park, 2100 Barton Springs Rd., Austin, TX 78746
This month’s Zilker Park concert will showcase indie rock groups Wild Child and Max Frost. Attendees are encouraged to bring food, beverages and pets. Music begins at 8 p.m. and all ages are welcome to enjoy the show.
- Seventh Annual Colorado River Ramble
- June 25, 8 a.m.
- Fiesta Gardens, 2101 Jesse E. Segovia St., Austin, TX 78702
The Expedition School is hosting its annual Colorado River Ramble benefit on June 25. Registering for stand-up paddleboard, canoe and kayak races will cost a fee, but viewing and admission are free. Attendees can also enjoy live music and food trailers.
- Deep Eddy Splash Park Movie Nights
- June 25, Dusk
- Deep Eddy Pool, 401 Deep Eddy Ave., Austin, TX 78703
Deep Eddy welcomes all ages to enjoy “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” while splashing in the 72-degree pool. Attendees must pay a $3–$5 entrance fee for swimming admission, but the screening is included at no extra cost.