Record-setting day sets Longhorns up for potential championship

Sophomore All-American Joseph Schooling set an NCAA, championship meet, Big 12 and school record by winning the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 44.01 in the 100-yard butterfly on March 25 during the NCAA Championships.
Photo Credit: Rachel Zein | Daily Texan Staff

The Longhorns will head into the final day of the NCAA Championships with a comfortable 95-point lead over California after record-setting performances by sophomore Joseph Schooling and freshman Townley Haas on Friday evening.

Schooling started the record-breaking day with a win in the 100-yard butterfly. He finished the event with a time of 44.01 seconds — an NCAA, championship meet, Big 12 and school record. Junior Jack Conger finished in third .86 seconds behind Schooling.

Haas then took his crack at the record book two events later. His time of 1:30.46 in the 200 freestyle set an American, NCAA and championship meet record.

The Longhorns also grabbed three second and third place finishes in the finals. Junior Will Licon took second in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 3:37.40, while senior diver Corey Bowersox turned in a career-best third place finish in the 3-meter dive with a score of 420.50.

The Longhorns’ 200-yard medley relay team of Licon, Schooling, senior John Murray and freshman John Shebat finished third with a time of 1:22.75, a school and Big 12 record.

Texas heads into the final day of the championships with 366 points to California’s 271. Florida sits in third with 255.