Austin Whataburger employee diagnosed with hepatitis A


An employee at the Whataburger near campus was diagnosed with hepatitis A. Helath officials said it was unlikely the infection was transmitted to customers. 

Photo Credit: Lauren Ussery | Daily Texan Staff

An employee at the Whataburger on Guadalupe Street near campus was diagnosed with hepatitis A, public health officials reported Thursday.

Austin-Travis County Health and Human Services officials said transmission of the infection to customers was unlikely, but they still caution anyone who ate at the restaurant between Aug. 7-19 to seek medical help if they experience any symptoms such as fever, nausea or stomach discomfort.

Hepatitis A is a contagious liver disease resulting from the hepatitis A virus and is usually spread by ingesting fecal matter or through contact with objects, food or drinks contaminated by the feces of an infected person, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.

In a statement released Aug. 21., Whataburger said food safety is a top priority for the restaurant and employees were working with Travis County health officials to ensure proper health and safety measures are in effect.

“We remain committed to a safe and clean dining experience for our employees and customers, and we have taken several precautionary measures, including providing all of our team members who work at this restaurant a hepatitis A vaccine at Whataburger’s expense,” Whataburger representatives said in a statement. 

Anyone with questions related to the incident can contact the restaurant at 844-569-5555.